Lavender oil has long been revered for its calming and relaxing properties. It is perhaps one of the most versatile essential oils it soothes and relaxes, induces sleep and has even been hailed as a treatment for anxiety. According to The Times; a sniff of lavender 'calms the nerves like valium' .
New research confirms that the relaxing effects of lavender are real but it also reveals that this multi-purpose oil could even be used medically to treat anxiety, and to calm patients before surgery, as an alternative to sleeping tablets.
This powerful purple plant has many benefits
- For sleep - several studies show using lavender oil for aromatherapy can improve sleep quality, including in people with insomnia, depression, and anxiety.
- For anxiety, stress, and depression - Lavender has been well studied for its anxiolytic, or anxiety relieving, effects. Lavender oil aromatherapy has been shown to reduce the physical and emotional signs of stress, lowering blood pressure and heart rate, and increasing feelings of relaxation and calm.
- For menstrual symptoms - Two recent studies indicate that lavender aromatherapy can help reduce pain and other symptoms associated with menstruation.
- For menopause symptoms - Women in menopause may find lavender helpful in addressing sleep difficulties, anxiety and restlessness. Some research also indicates lavender aromatherapy may also improve hot flashes.
- For blood pressure - Lavender’s quieting effects on the nervous system appear to be responsible for its ability to lower blood pressure and reduce heart rate. Research shows that aromatherapy with lavender—both on its own and blended with lemon and ylang ylang oils—may reduce blood pressure and heart rate, including in middle-aged women with insomnia.
- For pain - Lavender is a natural pain reliever (analgesic) and also a natural antibiotic. Studies show using lavender aromatherapy, in massage, and topically can be effective in improving several different forms of pain, including headaches, migraines and toothache.
(Talk with your doctor about the right way to use lavender to treat a particular pain issue.)
Here at Ermana we use lavender as an ingredient for both its therapeutic benefits and its skin healing properties.
Lavender Essential Oil regenerates, brightens and detoxes the skin. It has been shown to improve blood circulation and promote a youthful complexion. As an essential ingredient to restore and maintain the epidermis, its toning effect can help fight signs of ageing and leave your skin renewed. Thanks to its anti-inflammatory compounds, Lavender Oil can help improve tone, evenness and restore the skin’s natural luminosity. It is also a potent source of antioxidants and other beneficial phytochemicals, making it a wonderful anti wrinkle treatment. Lavender oil is naturally antibacterial, meaning that it kills acne-causing bacteria that might infiltrate your pores. This makes the purple flower perfect for preventing, calming, and healing painful acne breakouts. Try our award winning Revive face oil to see the benefits lavender can have on your skin.
Rich in antioxidants, Lavender Essential Oil protects and promotes the skin’s natural barrier as well as drawing out toxins and balancing pH levels. For the ultimate skin detox try our Comfort body oil
If you suffer from dry skin conditions lavender can help too as it does a stellar job at balancing your skin’s moisture barrier, so that it isn’t too oily or too dry. Try our Comfort balm for soft, itch-free skin. This comforting balm is also great for soothing and healing skin that’s irritated or reddened from the sun, insect bites, or bacteria due to the anti-inflammatory properties of lavender oil.
Lavender oil, as we know, is regularly used in aromatherapy and can have an uplifting effect which is why we have created our Comfort candle as another way to enjoy the benefits of this amazing oil.
Lavender is without doubt a plant hero with so many benefits for both body and mind. In times of stress or anxiety, it is perhaps Mother Nature's best gift to us.